Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Comet, Montana

 A few years back I was privileged to visit the mining camp of Comet, Montana.  It is considered one of the best preserved, not reconstructed, ghost towns in the state, with one of the best preserved mills.  It is slowly crumbling under the weight of its many years and soon the pictures may be all we have left of this wonderful piece of history.  I hope to get back to Comet soon, before we make our move back west! 
 

 This is the hillside full of cabins across the creek from the mill.  The town was big enough during the 1890s to have 20 children in its school.


 When I visited in 2007 the mill seemed to be in 
very good condition.


 Lilacs embrace most of the buildings in Comet, so if you want to visit the town while they're in bloom, the end of May or beginning of June might be a good bet, depending on the amount of snowpack the town gets during the winter, of course!


I made one of the pictures I took at Comet into this composite...I think it really showcases not only the town's namesake, but its short, illustrious history and its bright spirit at the same time!  I'm also enclosing a link to an article I found, written in the same year I visited, which details some of the history of the area.


There are many other sites on the net that can give the reader information on this great little town, so feel free to do a search on "Comet, MT" and see what you can find!  


No comments:

Post a Comment